Thursday, August 12, 2010

Nobody Can Fill Your Shoes

My grandfather's birthday is August 20. I always admired my grandpa he was the only man in my life when I was growing up. Remembering back, every morning he would shine his boots. He has always been a sharp dressed man. All the ladies heads would turn to look at him as he passed by, he knew. He was always a ladies man.

These look nothing like the classy boots my grandpa wore. They are worn and have walked many of miles. Now just sitting there they tell a story. He can't wear his boots anymore they hurt his feet.

My grandpa has always loved to doddle with paint and drawing different things. As a young man he drew shoes, he wanted to publish them in a newspaper sales add. He shared these drawings with me a few years back.
I can remember going to his house sitting in his office playing with his pencils and pens and paints. He never ran me out of there. NO matter how much rubber cement I split or things I ruined. He allowed me to express my imagination.

I feel guilty from time to time being a grown woman now not spending as much time as I ought to with him. But there is not a day that goes by that I don't thank him for my blessing and all of his encouragement. On my very first art show he called me, nobody else called or showed up. It meant the world to me.

I have not had any schooling in art except for commercial design and one college class that bored me to pieces. Every single time I pick up a paint brush I hear his gravely high pitched tone that says, "Meg, you don't use what the good lord gave you, you will lose your talent."
But grandpa if I didn't know how proud I make you every time I picked up this paintbrush I don't think I would continue creating and communicating with the world what wonderful things I see. You have helped make me who I am. I can't say enough how much I do it all because of you! I love you so much. HAPPY BIRTHDAY


1 comment:

  1. I can't get over those boots. They look like I could just pick them up and put them on. I do need a pair of boots. I think in turquoise!

    ReplyDelete